Friday, September 3, 2010

The Story of an All American Kid Living in Belgium

*Exclaimer:  In naming this blog "Apple Pie in Belgium," I am in no way referencing "American Pie" the movie, or the associations it makes with apple pie.  I am simply referring to apple pie as being an "American" desert, a desert that I very much enjoy.  In doing so, I am making the connection between apple pie, it's "American" reputation, and myself.  That being said, continue reading below:

First and foremost, I think some thanks is in order for whomever you are, for taking the time to read my random thoughts, rants and quirks.  I'd like to apologize right away, for I am not a writer; never was, never will be.  Chances are you will find many sentences that have no structure, no organization, and also some grammar errors sprinkled in there as well.  I am new to this blog thing, but figured that since I will be hop scotching across Europe, I should try and document as much of it as I can.  Let this blog post act as the "before" in a series of events that will take me to numerous countries in the next 3 months and ultimately land me back here in Chicago.


As of right now, I leave in 2 days.  My thoughts and feelings are mixed.  I am very excited for the near future and many of the adventures that await, seeing as this will be the first time my feet will have landed in foreign soil.  Not only have I never been out of the country, but I also have very limited exposure to flying in airplanes.  If I remember correctly I have only needed to travel by plane 3 times in my life.  Therefore, not only am I excited, but nervous.  I have never strayed far from what I consider home for an extended period of time.  I have always kept my support network, such as friends and family, at close reach.  To most I may seem like a fairly independent person, however that sense of independence will be tested when I find myself 4,000 miles from my home, my friends, and my family.

When I first began tossing around the idea of studying abroad, those who knew me best told me, "That would be a great experience, but do you think you can handle being away from home?"  Or they would say, "That may not be the best idea."  Don't get me wrong, I did have support in my decision, it's just that I definitely went the opposite way that the "day-to-day Kevin" would have gone.  I tend to play it safe generally in my everyday life, so when I was thinking of stepping outside of my comfort zone by spending three months in a foreign country, many of those closest to me were initially surprised.

It still seems surreal to me that not too long ago I was debating whether or not this would be a good decision, and here I am, 2 days from departure.  At first, I did not know if I should graduate early and get a head start on my career, or if I should take that extra time I had and use it to study abroad, even though I'm getting credit for classes that I don't need.  I am very happy with my decision, and I am wishing, hoping, and expecting it to be a life changing trip.  I intend to share this experience with all of you via this blog and through the pictures I post.

I will post as often as I have enough things to blog about.  Whether it be every few days or once a week, I do not know.  It will depend on how interesting my day to day life is while I'm in Belgium and whether or not I feel it worth my time and yours to tell you about it.  Here goes nothin...

No comments:

Post a Comment